HH Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup c/o Whole 30
· 3 cups diced butternut squash
· 2 small red apples (Honeycrisp or Fuji for a little sweetness.)
· ½ onion diced
· 2.5-3 cups Whole30 compatible chicken or vegetable broth
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· ¼ tsp ground turmeric for color
· Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (~204°C). Meanwhile, peel and dice the butternut squash and apples. Slice the onion.
2. Toss the squash, apples, and onion with the olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast the vegetables for 25-30 minutes, stopping once halfway through cooking to turn the pieces over.
3. Once the vegetables are done roasting, carefully transfer the mixture to a large pot. Add the turmeric, if using. Pour in 2.5 cups of the chicken or vegetable broth. Use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until smooth and creamy, adding a bit more liquid to thin it out, if needed.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The amount used will vary based on the saltiness of the broth used and personal tastes.