Smoky Roasted Butternut Squash Chili
Even though we’re in the middle of a heat wave… I wanted chili! I love it stuffed in potatoes or over roasted veggies. I had a whole, large butternut squash that I peeled, and chunked. Then I roasted it for 45 minutes in the oven at 400F. I love when they caramelize. In the meantime, in the Instant Pot, I sautéed 4 slices bacon until almost done. Then, I added diced onions & carrots, tomato paste, spices, 1 pound of ground sirloin, fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, and finally the squash when it was done roasting. It cooked on low for 4 hours. It was so yummy! I served mine over riced cauliflower, while I served the rest over white steamed rice.
Prep time: 45 minutes (includes roasting the squash)
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours and 45 minutes
1 butternut squash (800 grams raw)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 large carrots, diced
8 cloves of garlic, minced
1 pound of ground sirloin
5 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 14.5 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes
1 14.5 ounce can of tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Peel and cut the butternut squash into chunks.
3. Place on a greased baking sheet and place in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, dice the bacon, onions and carrots.
5. Turn the instant pot to sauté mode and add the bacon.
6. Once the bacon is starting to crisp, add the onion and carrots and stir. Let cook for 5 minutes.
7. Next add the tomato paste and stir until the veggies are coated.
8. Add in the spices and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
9. Add in the meat, breaking into chunks. Ensure the veggies are getting mixed into the meat.
10. Add in the fresh garlic.
11. Add in the tomatoes and sauce and stir to combine.
12. Turn off sauté mode and set the slow cooker to low for 4 hours.
13. When the butternut squash is finished roasting, add it to the instant pot and stir to combine.
14. Let cook on low for four hours.
15. Serve over rice, cauliflower rice, or by itself.